Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Douglas Adams, Mac Fanboy

One of my favorite authors (Roddy Doyle being the other) is Douglas Adams. He was probably best known as the author for the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy trilogy (in five books). Sadly, he died at the ridiculously young age of 49 on Friday 11 May, 2001. I can remember exactly what I was doing when I heard the news.

Douglas was a huge Apple fan from the days when it was hard to be an Apple fan. His last book, The Salmon of Doubt, which was an unfinished story, was published with other material to fill out the page count (for other authors, I'd use the term filler but not with Douglas Adams). Part of that other material was a couple of Apple computer reviews.

This guy loved Apple. I think he had the first Newton sold in England.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this today is that I've just started listening to Douglas Adams at the BBC audiobook. Simon Jones, who played Arthur Dent in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, presents an alphbetical look back at Douglas Adams life and works. After finishing the book and finding it wonderful to hear Douglas' voice again, I'm currently going through the recording a second time. It is available from audible if you are a member. Highly recommended.

No comments: