Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Great Free, Open-Source, On-line Game for the Mac

Did I get all the buzzwords? I think I forgot monetize, advertisement-driven and community-building, but I got most of them, right?

Anyway, back to business. I'm not much of a gamer but one of the few games I do enjoy is Aleph One, an open-source descendant of Bungie's Marathon 2: Durandal first person 3D shooting game. Software is available in a number of formats including MacOSX and Mac OS9.

Okay, the graphics aren't high definition but that means that the graphics card in my lowly MacBook can easily keep up with play. The demands of the software are not too high (did I mention you can play it in Mac OS9?) so that works out pretty well for all users.

Play is free.

Software is free.

All it's going to cost you is time.

And maybe a few ego points if you get killed as frequently as I seem to.....

No comments: