Sunday, September 28, 2008

µTorrent or Transmission for MacOSX

I found an early alpha of µTorrent for the mac so I thought I'd try it and compare it to Transmission, my current BitTorrent client of choice.

Transmission has a lot of benefits: it's free, lightweight and open source. The only downsides I've found are that:
  1. Some torrent sites don't count it's actions and
  2. It doesn't open all open peers
Still, I prefer it to Vuze (formerly Azureus) which I found to be very slow and with a lot of overhead.

But I wanted to see if all the accolades that the PC version of µTorrent had been awarded applied to the mac version. Again, one has to recognize that this is an early alpha release (which wasn't supposed to be released) so, to be fair, I was expecting it to be buggy.

Except it wasn't. It worked fine. It didn't seem to work any better than Transmission but it wasn't any worse. It did open more peers but it didn't download a torrent any faster.

So, the jury is still out but this early version is very promising. I look forward to subsequent releases.

No comments: