Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Perfect Mouse for a MacBook. It's made by Dell!

Some of you may have read how difficult it has been for me to find a decent mouse to use with my MacBook. I have a few basic requirements of the mouse, namely:
  • It's bluetooth
  • It has an on/off switch
  • It's big enough for my hands and
  • It doesn't look like a bar of soap.
Well, someone recommended that I look at a Dell. Luckily, they meant a Dell mouse (I won't bore you with the bad experiences I've had with Dell laptops in the past) so I went looking for the Dell DH 421 Bluetooth 2.0 Wireless Mouse.

I was not able to find it on the Dell web site*. Thinking it obsolete, I searched the home of all obsolete hardware, e-bay. There I found it for under $15 delivered (used). So I placed my order and waited.

It came today.

Let's start with the positives. It's a good looking, full-sized, ergonomic, blue-tooth mouse, with an on/off switch. It synced perfectly well and I could assign all five buttons and the tilt wheel using the excellent Steermouse advanced mouse driver. I'm not a gamer and those guys have higher requirements for mouse accuracy than I do so I can't talk to that degree, but it works really well for me. I also like that it has a little weight to it after using the awful Microsoft 5000 for a while.

Okay, now the negatives. The fit of the mouse in my hand isn't quite as good as my Logitech MX900 (obsolete, no on/off switch so no good for use with a portable machine but great for a desktop) but it might be a better fit in yours. I realize that not everyone is built like me. That's it, the only negative I could find.

Could it be that Dell makes the perfect mouse for use with the MacBook?

*A better search of the Dell site revealed the item for sale here.

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

Hi there, I'm wondering about purchasing this mouse... does it work without steermouse? Do you lose the ability to use the extra buttons..?

thanks!

Mac Hacker said...

It works without Steermouse but you loose the ability to use all of the programs.

Kale said...

http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/