Sunday, December 14, 2008

iWOW 3 - Solves Some Problems but Loses Functionality

iWOW 3.0 has just been released. It's an add-on for iTunes that makes the awful speakers in the MacBook sound pretty good. I wrote a review of the earlier version on the blog.

Changes from 2.0 to 3.0 - you'd think the details would be on the web site. They're not. Here's what I found:
  1. The user interface got worse. It's been simplified but it's lost a lot of capability.
  2. The CPU usage got better. Much.
  3. They got rid of genredetection. Genredetection would hang about 20% of the time I'd try to unplug my iPod. It was a good idea to have the genre detected so that the appropriate preset could be set automatically but genredetection was a bad implementation of that option. I would rather set iWOW manually and have the iPod disconnection go smoothly.
  4. They got rid of the Spoken preset. General works okay with Podcasts and Audiobooks though.
  5. There's only one customizable preset now. That might be a problem for some but not a big deal for me.
I would recommend this upgrade if for nothing else than they got rid of genredetection.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I think iWOW is great! Additionally, SRS announced via Twitter that is has fixed the genredetect function and will reintroduce in 6-8 weeks. Here's hoping! I've also grown fond of the iWOW Adaptor for iPod.

http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/index.php/GadgetBlog/comments/review_iwow_ipod_adapter_by_srs_labs/