Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ipod Touch 2G and Redsn0w Lite

So I've been waiting to buy an iPod Touch 2G until it was jailbroken. The Touch is a nice alternative to the iPhone (read why I won't buy an iPhone here) and runs most of the same software. I wanted the 2Gs speaker capabilities.

It's been a long wait but there is now a tethered release from redsn0w. Tethered means that the iPod touch will no longer be bootable without assistance from a tethered computer. Not convenient but a start. REALLY READ THE readme file (note the disclaimers) before you decide if you want to proceed. Pretty basic instructions but do-able.

From a forum I frequent, I found some assistance in getting the software needed:
1) Get Redsn0w Lite
2) Get Pwnage Tool
3) Get Firmware stuff (you need 2.2.1 and 2.1.1)
Watch this video for step-by-step instructions. Also, the developers blog site is a great resource.

No comments: