Thursday, April 30, 2009

Stanza - A Good eReader and a Fair Desktop Application

Lexcycle have put out a free iPhone application called Stanza (that off course works with the iPod Touch as well). It's pretty good as an eReader but all eReaders are pretty good. Everyone knows what an eReader does, even Oprah pimps them out so I won't bother going into details of what they do. Stanza does have an additional nice feature and instant downloads of a few good books.

The nice feature is the free desktop application that goes along with the iPhone app allowing the user to translate many document types (pdf, etc.) into the eReader format. You have to jump through a couple of hoops to get the transfer to work but it does work.

Some of the free books available for download: a few from Corey Doctorow (iRobot, for instance) and a bunch of classics. Enough to keep you entertained on even the longest flight. You can, of course buy additional books, but I like free. Good for free.

One aside - the book in the image Lexcycle uses to advertise the desktop application is by a guy called Charlie Stross. I went to school with Charlie. He was a nice kid, a little strange which meant that he was bullied. I hope he's having the life now that he deserves. As an adult, I wish I could go back and change that he was bullied but of course I can't.

No comments: