Thursday, July 1, 2010

Is that Amazon Price a Good Deal?

I was reminded by the recent Woot acquisition by Amazon that there's an extension I've used for quite a while. Amazon seems to change their prices daily and keeping up with what's a good price and when is it high has been an issue in the past. However, the introduction of The Camelizer (no, I don't know how they came up with that name either. I guess we'll just have to let it go.) extension means that someone else is keeping track of price trends for me. The Camelizer uses camelcamelcamel generated information for their Amazon price history charts.

Joining the web site provides simple, free Amazon price watch alerts and makes it easy to stay informed of pricing trends on a wide variety of products. The extension requires no membership though and provides a quick, simple look at the historical data. Just a quick click and there's all the information you need. I first used The Camelizer as a Firefox extension but my recent transition to the much faster Google browser has not meant that I'm not left out as they offer a Chrome extension. If you're a frequent Amazon shopper, this is an invaluable tool.

Another excellent tool (web site this time) for us cheapskates that enjoy Amazon's free shipping service (available with most $25 purchases) is to add filler items to get us to that magic total. Freebieville list numerous (occasionally useful) items that you can add to your cart to help you get to the amount that qualifies your purchase for free shipping.

If you want to look for deals on Amazon, you can follow them on Twitter look for their Gold Box discounts or else browse through the dealsuckers amazon deals site that arrange discounts by percentage.

And, if I was a better business man, I'd have this page plastered with links to Amazon associate pages that give me some sort of kick-back.

No comments: