Sunday, November 27, 2011

iRoadAlert Vs. Trapster

I may be becoming obsessed. Here's another review about an app that helps identify where those pesky speed traps are hidden. You'd think that I had a lead foot or a number of speeding tickets given my obsession with these apps but both couldn't be further from the truth. I think it's more to do with wanting to know when the man is watching.

Anyway, iRoadAlert (FINE BUSTER!) (sic.) works a little more slickly that Trapster. It's also free through CyberMonday (my guess is that it will most likely to revert back to it's 99¢ price-point after that). The iOS only app will work in the background so that you can continue to use the phone as intended and give both voice and sound signals when you are in close proximity to a trap. The app does not detect where speed traps or cameras are located, rather it works off a database so be sure to keep that database updated.


Which brings me to the only big negative associated with using this app. The database is limited to a few US States and Canadian Provinces, namely:
  • US states covered: New York, New Jersey, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington.
  • Canada provinces covered: Ontario, Quebec, British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan.
For me, this is a pretty good list as it covers the State in which I live and the two Provinces I in which travel most. However, the few States covered by the app is a serious limitation making the app of less use to many. Still it works very well and is great for free (for right now).

No comments: