Tuesday, May 22, 2012

JPEG Mini

Sending photos by e-mail or publishing on-line often necessitates reducing the file from the 30MB+ my camera is capable to a more palatable size. There are lots of ways to do this but an easy and free on-line service that I've been using recently comes from JPEGmini. Simply create an account (free) and upload your images to a folder. A few minutes later and you will be provided with a zipped folder containing the results. How good is it? Well, it's hard for me to tell the difference on my monitor but there is a slight reduction in print quality. Great for free though.

If you like to have a little more control over the process, you can download JPEGmini for Mac directly from the App Store. The application works well but is not free.

Now the only downside. The service and application work on image files of 2-17Mb in size so if your file is larger than that, you need to do a little pre-processing. However, it fits with my work-flow which involves a little selection and editing using Lightroom followed by a little final image manipulation in Photoshop. I then take the output from that process and make it web ready using JPEG Mini. I see no evidence of visual artifacts resulting from this final step.

No comments: