Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Death of iGoogle! Now What?

So I pick up my computer this morning and I see a notification from Google that they're planning on killing iGoogle. Looking into things a little more I see their blog post stating "On November 1, 2013, iGoogle will be retired. We originally launched iGoogle in 2005 before anyone could fully imagine the ways that today's web and mobile apps would put personalized, real-time information at your fingertips. With modern apps that run on platforms like Chrome and Android, the need for iGoogle has eroded over time, so we’ll be winding it down. Users will have 16 months to adjust or export their data."

So they're giving us a little notice as the death sentence isn't planned until November of next year but I like to plan ahead (and get used to changes). I looked on-line for some alternatives and found two mentioned, Netvibes and Pageflakes. I don't know if it's just today but Pageflakes doesn't load (I'll edit if it reappears).

When I first went to the Netvibes site I was pointed to a nearly $500 option. After clicking back, I saw that there was also a free option. I like free so I went with that choice. Signing in and creating a site that mirrored my iGoogle site was very easy. I've posted the two sites below for comparison purposes.

Google


Netvibes


As you can see, there's not too much that's different between the two. I think that the iGoogle site is a little cleaner but that might be because I'm used to it. The news site is a little harder to read on the Netvibes widget and there aren't too many controls to make the text appear darker. But it all works. I can still see my mail come in and my appointments (yes I have stand-alone applications for those but this functionality always serves as a nice little reminder; I like the built-in redundancy).

So I'm a little less worried now than I was when I woke up. I won't lose the functionality I've gotten used to and my homepage (yes, I still like to have a homepage) will look essentially the same.

The one thing I will loose is the black Google bar at the top of the page that really did nothing more than remind me to go to Google+ every now-and-again.

With that gone, how often will I look at Google+?

As for Netvibes, very nice for free!

4 comments:

Cris van Geel said...

I miss my google toolbar too. I am currently searching for a way to get it implanted in my new Netvibes environment (which i actually like more then igoogle)

Anonymous said...

Hey, sorry this is an off topic post. A few years ago I used your entry 'Tuesday, February 9, 2010
MacBook Pro now Region Free (Matshita DVD-R UJ-868)' to make my Mac region free. Worked like a charm!

Recently I bought a new Mac and was hoping to do the same, but Disc burning MATASHITA DVD-R number is too new and not listed on http://www.powerbook-fr.com/dossiers/dvd_region_free_en_article30.html or http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43082. Do you know where I could find or look for a download for a MATASHITA DVD-R UJ-8A8?

Thanks for your help! (you can reach me at agrant3@student.fitchburgstate.edu if that is more convenient).
~Amanda

Grendel Khan said...

Dimitri has a good explanation on how to do it in Lion at http://www.dmitry-dulepov.com/2011/12/how-to-make-macbook-pro-dvd-drive.html. It should also work if you upgraded to Mountain Lion. Post back if you need more help. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, you've been such a huge help! After reading through Dimitri's post and looking at the helpful comments I was able to successfully make it work. ^_^

~Amanda